Monday, February 26, 2007

Weekend Refuge

While discussing about my daily/weekend grind few years ago and the inexplicable chores that typically hog our weekend, my friend touched on the topic of her morning walks which she religiously takes. Ofcourse her dog was her excuse, but then if you are one of those souls who have found such a green surrounding to indulge in every morning or say every weekend morning also, take my word its worth the investment; AND, every second of it.

Though I like the nature and wildlife in general, the thought never crossed my mind how much a simple inclusion of a ritual can partake for an overall well being. And since two years I have tried to take a stroll in my neighbourhood park, but beyond that just sit there on the pavement and see the life slow down to a crawl with birds and squirrels jumping left and right. It is my refuge, from the slog and the running around, bickering, temper highs, squabbles which is a common parcel of our weekdays. Every sunday I just leave my house behind, take a two km walk have a coconut water on the way (a common stable for every bangalorean), have my usual breakfast, idli-vada with juice; then after a few metres enter my refuge, just go and sit in one corner close my eyes and let the sounds fill in, take a deep breath and almost feel the time slowed down. Believe me its worth experiencing, we read so much about de-stressing everyday, but think reading a novel, watching TV ought to do the trick, I guess not, you haven’t given your mind a rest.

We fail to acknowledge the toll, fatigue and stress have on our fast paced life, made me smirk yesterday when I saw that it costs US $150,000 billion in lost productivity due to fatigue related illnesses each year, but the joke was on me, I too am a member of that community even if by a long haul. Ever wondered, that even in a state of bliss I mean going to a park etc, the things going through our head, from laundry to grocery list, to spouse issues that recently you indulged in a tussle about, not to mention fifty other extraneous things that make rounds everyday together with hundred to-dos left in office. We hardly do the needful, so I make it a point that I simply see the sights around while I walk or sit, and if someone does try to knock in then I throw him/her or that thing out, :) I mean from my head, afterall a half hour excuse-me wouldn’t hurt.

Morning

Even the short holiday breaks we take are hogged by so many planning issues, followed by things to see and places to visit, and even if you have enrolled with any holiday makers, their typical itenary have so many things on their list, that I have heard people complain that they hardly got to see anything at the end, but ironically if they don’t show you much we complain at the start that the itenary is blanch and boring. And we thus fail to acknowledge that the bang-for-the-buck constitutes bang at whose cost.

I remember six years ago when I was in my first job and had my saturdays working in Delhi I had a park in front of my bus stop and at eight thirty or nine I use to see people perambulating, and wondered whether that late does constitute morning walks or was it a rich man's idea of contorted health-bliss. Though having only sundays to spear I usually didn’t go there myself, plus the idea of stress and fatigue were nowhere in sight though the word did made rounds in our sunday spreads but were overlooked, but now, and I do mean now, I know what it means and that census was a pointer to myself.

So this weekend, go with your mind on a quiet stroll. And for that half-hour throw the clutter out, with a polite excuse-me :).

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Fuzzylogic said...

I agree with you 100%.They say holidays are a good destressors but it really never is,infact it gets stressful just planning things and even if we do get to the place its always a scramble.I love my jogs,it is certainly to me the "me" time I need.Feeling the cool air across your face as you run through a green patch is a great feeling.Even walks can be excellent.Though the winter has certainly curtailed my daily stress buster I am looking forward to renewing it soon with the spring.By the way I'm blogrolling you,I hope that's ok!

Friday, March 02, 2007 10:03:00 AM  
Blogger Rebus said...

@Fuzzylogic: Yep, its abt spending time with yourself; btw thanks for blogrolling me.

@Sphinx: :)

Friday, March 02, 2007 6:48:00 PM  
Blogger By Deepa and Supriya said...

Rebus,
Hello! Couldn't agree with you more on slowing down every once in a while...and as the years roll it is only more important that you make an even bigger effort to destress, stress has a lot of intangible ill effects ..i hope we all de-stress more often :)

Tuesday, March 06, 2007 8:23:00 PM  
Blogger Madhooo said...

What a coincidence! I have started my walks again and was planning to write a post on that.:))) A very good post.:)

Wednesday, March 07, 2007 11:51:00 AM  
Blogger Rebus said...

@Orchid: If only we realise more often!

@Madhoo: Great minds think alike, or do alike :)
But would still wait for your post, a different angle a different street some more observations!!!

Wednesday, March 07, 2007 12:39:00 PM  
Blogger Viewer said...

I have a small park right in front of my society... but hardly I go there for a stroll ... I always make up mind only to turn it down due to laziness...

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 2:31:00 PM  
Blogger Rebus said...

@Viewer: Try one day what I try to do on weekends; and then revert back if u like!

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 6:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home